[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wayfarers of Veeshan • View topic - Books Books and More Books.

Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:47 pm 
Former Guild Leader / Elder

I'm interested in what people read. I'm going to post some of my all time favorites to start off some book discussion :)

Some of my Favorite books:

Final Encylopedia
Mute
The Magic of Recluse
Magician Apprentice
A Spell For Chamelian
The Bishop's Heir
Bio of a Space Tyrant: Refugee
Master of the Five Magics
A Game of Thrones
tooo many to list :)

Favorite Series
The Wheel of Time 1-10
Dragonlance Chronicles 1,2,3
The Recluse Saga

read them? what are yours?

70 Bard, at your service
Elder, Wayfarer of Veeshan

Also, , , Irodanise (52 Pal), Irodanes (31 Rog), Iroardanis (19 BL), Sinadori (25 SK), Dreminal (32 Dru)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:07 am 
Friend of WoV

Dragonlance
Death Gate Cycle
All the Drizzt books
All the Vlad Taltos books
The first couple Harry Potters
Snowcrash
Ender's Game
ya know, there's like a million books I'm forgetting...basically I like scifi and fantasy 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:39 am 
Friend of WoV

GOod Lord Iro...on man where to begin...will start with high school...

-Invaders from Rigel
-Thomas Covenant Series
-Incarnations of Immortality Series by Piers Anthony
-Xanthe Series by Piers Anthony
-Just about EVERY book I could find on Archaeology, Marine Biology and WWII
-Shannara Family books by Terry Brooks
-Bio of a Space Tyrant Series by Piers Anthony
-Mission Earth Series by L. Ron Hubbard
-Elric of Melnibone series
-the Belgariad and Mallorean Series by David Eddings
-All Rift Wars books by Raymond E. Fiest

I could go on and on...just about every book I pick-up is a new and exciting adventure :)

ALL TIME Favorite:

Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

"SUCCESS isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire"
-Arnold Glasgow
'What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"
-Dr Robert Schuller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:45 am 

Magelo: 500172
Favorite authors:

Pat Conroy
Thomas Harris (Silence of the Lambs, etc.)
Nelson DeMille

Loved Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Hobbit
Harry Potter books are great.

NOTE: Moved this thread to Off Topic forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:59 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

most all "dragonlance"and " forgotten realms ",oh and "go dogs go" :lol:

Snowdark lvl 90 Dark Elf SK / 103 park circle , Elm woods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:47 am 
Friend of WoV

Honor Harrington series by David Weber
Icewind Dale series by R.A. Salvatore
Deathworld Trilogy, Stainless Steel Rat and others by Harry Harrison
Dragonlance of course

oh and wondering if anyone has ever read a book coauthored by Larry Niven called Dreampark....EQ in modern times is the first step toward something like what they have in that book. It's a classic if ya missed it folx)

UNREST server EQ2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:51 am 
Officer

Magelo: 0
Not going to list all the books, but some authors I like are Allen Dean Foster, Piers Anthony, Brian Jacques, Robert A Heinlein, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Louis L'Amour, Zane Grey, Roy Boehm, J.R.R. Tolkien, Andre Norton, and that guy who wrote The Grapes of Wrath and Tortia flats. Bunch of others but cant think of the names :wink: Also Harry Harrison. Loved the Bill the Galactic Hero series

Last edited by Haams on Sun May 02, 2004 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:21 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

My favorites are a little less exciting...hehe

Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
Lords of Discipline - Pat Conroy
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
1984 - George Orwell
Death Be Not Proud - John Gunther
Dharma Bums - Jack Kerouac
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
Lord of the Rings Trilogy - J.R.R. Tolkien
Siddartha - Hermann Hesse
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
Maus I and II - Art Spiegelman
Turtle Island - Gary Snyder
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway

I'll stop now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:33 am 

Dreampark by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes. Good series Mjornir. The Barsoom Project and The California Voodoo Game are the second and third books, if you're interested.

My author list has changed over the years, from Robert Adams, Piers Anthony, Andre Norton, Larry Niven, Anne McCaffrey (Pern), Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, most of the Dragonlance saga, as well as a lot of the Forgotten Realms, Philip Jose Farmer, Alan Dean Foster, Robert Jordan, Raymond Feist, Robert Asprin (Myth series), John DeChancie (Castle Perilous ... good funny stuff), Katherine Kurtz (Adept and Deryni series), and more recently Terry Pratchet's Discworld series (fantastic dry British humour).

Of course, everyone should read Tolkiens works (THE Trilogy, heh) and C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. Another author to recommend would be Melanie Rawn. Yeah, it's mostly fantasy stuff in there. :) LOTS I'm leaving out I'm sure, but will be posted by others. Bradbury, Heinlen (read Starship Troopers ... the movie stank)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:52 am 
Elder

Anything by Heinlein :grin:

Lord of the Rings -- books not movie
Conan by Robert E. Howard -- couldn't stand the movies
Dune series by Frank Herbert -- again movie were bad

books by Piers Anthony, Andre Norton and a bunch of others I'd recognise if I saw the names :P

Mal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:28 am 

Vae - I loved On a Pale Horse and found the rest of the series less facinating, though I did miss a few.

Many of the Xanth novels were interesting but the first one was by far the best.

I've read the Wheel of Time series 5 or 6 times hehe. Reading it again now by the way. Every time a new book comes out I re-read the entire thing.

The Thomas Covenent series was great! But so depressing lol.

Magician Aprentice one of my top three books I think. There series is excellent also.

Alle - I also loved the Lord of the Rings, but didn't list it.

Snow - I loved Dragonlance : Chronicles 1,2 and 3, and I have read several other Dragonlance titles, but didn't get as much out of the other titles.

MJ - I don't recognize your list other than the Dragonlance !

Haamy - wow. I've read some Louis L'Amour but hadn't thought about him in years! lol.

Z - great list! Fahreheit 451 and several other classics.. I like it.

Tan - I've read a few Heinlen, glad you listed him. One I enjoyed that comes to mind is "The Cat That Walks Through Walls" I think it's called.

Mal - hmm I have never Read any Conan. I might start.

70 Bard, at your service
Elder, Wayfarer of Veeshan

Also, , , Irodanise (52 Pal), Irodanes (31 Rog), Iroardanis (19 BL), Sinadori (25 SK), Dreminal (32 Dru)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:17 pm 
Elder

The Conan series of books were written by Robert E. Howard during the 30s for the pulp magazines. Some have been written by L. Sprague De Camp and Lin Carter from unpublished manuscripts fround in his estate to fill out the original series of books by Bantum. They are pure escapism type reading in that there are no morals to the stories just hack / slash and sorcery.

Mal

p.s. forgot to list books by Lin Carter and L. Sprague De Camp in my list :grin:

Fahfard and the Grey Mouser series

Post subject: what i read
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:55 pm 
Friend of WoV

Mostly beer labels.

Vampire Chronicles- Anne Rice (some were better then others)
LOTR- Tolkein Numerous times
The Silmarilliam- Tolkein (basically talks about the forming of middle earth by Illuvitar and the Valar and Meir and all that good stuff, kinda like EQ lore stuff for LOTR)
The Ninja, Angel Eyes, Jion- Ludlum (far eastern mystery)
HATE HARRY POTTER (just a side note)

Elg

Post subject: Me Books
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:53 pm 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Um list anything from R.A. Salvatore and I will most likley like it.
Of course LoTR's is Excellent.
Um...The Magic the Gathering books by Wizard(big Magic fan hehe over 10k cards and growing).
The Harry Potter books which I am in the middle of reading.
Elaine Cunningham i think her name was middle of a series(think Kings and courts or somehting like that).
Love the works of Edgar Allen Poe short stories and poems.
Wrinkle in Time was a classic for me(have read it like 10 times).
Dark Tower Series by Stephen King(need to read Wolves of Calla)
Swan Song..... I forgot the authors name will post that when I get home(name is Robert R McCammon).
Um that is some of what I read mostly fantasy of course but what else can you read everything else is no fun hehe :P

Mnonoke 40 Druid

Kcaat Uhtonic 42 Beastlord
Maralyin 25 Bard
Zebthil 23 Necromancer
"May the sands of time never get in your lunch"

Last edited by Stubbpoke Goldenblade on Mon May 03, 2004 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:32 pm 

Good call on . continues that story ... personally I think tesseracts are much better than TLs :)