[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wayfarers of Veeshan • View topic - Computer turns itself off

Wayfarers of Veeshan

An Everquest Guild on Luclin
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:37 am 
Former Guild Leader / Elder

Magelo: 500172

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:28 am 
Wayfarer of Veeshan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:36 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:20 am 
Friend of WoV

Alle...take off one side of your case when you have it on and make sure that your CPU fan is running too. I had what sounds like the same problem you are having and it was my CPU fan. Once the CPU got too hot, it would shutdown.

"SUCCESS isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire"
-Arnold Glasgow
'What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"
-Dr Robert Schuller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:21 am 

Yes, the fan is running. I have two fans, in fact, and they're both working. Forgot to mention that was one of the things I checked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:24 am 
Friend of WoV

:P

"SUCCESS isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire"
-Arnold Glasgow
'What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"
-Dr Robert Schuller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:03 am 
Elder

Magelo: 0
Too small of a power supply can do that too.

Mal

Post subject: Umm -- more info
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:37 pm 
Friend of WoV

Ally,
Could you provide a bit more info:
1/ PC specs
2/ OS
3/ Has anything been added or removed to your pc (including hardware, software)
4/ has anything changed in the environment -- such as new appliances, heat, cold, storms etc
5/ have you dloaded any test/diag utilities (mem tests, hdd, cpu)
6/ does the OS you are running have an event log? any relevant error messages? (unlikely if power related)
7/ any odd messages, alarms, sounds when this happens? most newer mobos will sound alarms, noise, etc -- again if power problems this may not happen...
8/ any other troubleshooting you have done -- moving pc to another power source, using another computer on your current power source , replace anything yet? Is this PC on warranty/service contract?
9/ the fans are spinning -- but at the same speed as before? does it sound as loud/quite as before?
10/ does this happen under load (ie playing eq) and not while idle?

As Number 5 said "MORE INPUT"

Just my 2 nickles,
Chanzia

Post subject: Re: Umm -- more info
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:52 am 

1/ PC specs
AMD XP 1600
512 mb ram
Nvidia GEForce T1 4200
Soundblaster Audio PCI

2/ OS
Win 98
3/ Has anything been added or removed to your pc (including hardware, software)
No
4/ has anything changed in the environment -- such as new appliances, heat, cold, storms etc
No
5/ have you dloaded any test/diag utilities (mem tests, hdd, cpu)
No
6/ does the OS you are running have an event log? any relevant error messages? (unlikely if power related)
No idea. Where would I look?
7/ any odd messages, alarms, sounds when this happens? most newer mobos will sound alarms, noise, etc -- again if power problems this may not happen...
Nope
8/ any other troubleshooting you have done -- moving pc to another power source, using another computer on your current power source , replace anything yet? No, but getting a new power supply tonight Is this PC on warranty/service contract? Nope, it's just put together in bits and pieces. Not even the original case remains :)
9/ the fans are spinning -- but at the same speed as before? does it sound as loud/quite as before? Both fans working. It's always been loud and sounds the same now.
10/ does this happen under load (ie playing eq) and not while idle? I haven't noticed it while EQ wasn't running. If I leave trader up in Bazaar overnight, it is shut off when I get up in the morning.

Thanks for any light you can shed on the subject, Chanz.

Post subject: further troubleshooting
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:30 pm 
Friend of WoV

Ally,
I'm no guru but will try to step through some explanations and troubleshooting steps.

The motherboard, cpu chip, memory and power could all contribute to spontaneous shutdown. I would go ahead with your PSU replacement to eliminate one "failure vector". I would encourage you to go with a higher wattage PSU when you replace it -- for investment protection (when you upgrade your mobo/cpu). When going for a replacement try to go with a "quality" PS. My personal favorites are thermaltake, antec, vantech, or enermax -- your mileage may vary. The bottom line is to add up your systems wattage requirements and make sure your PSU can handle it. [see table at bottom]

Let's talk about some troubleshooting steps you can take to try to nail down this problem. I would download the following (good tools to have anyway):
1/ Sandra http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/ (sys info -- very good)
2/ aida32 http://www.aida32.hu/aida32-download.php (another sys info)
2/ MBM5 http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ >downloads (look to see if your mobo is supported -- mobo info from top 2 proggies)

Power:
Your cpu needs to have a steady power supply (ie it shouldn't move around or flucuate wildly) this is true for vcore (most likely around 1.7 v) and your +/-12, +/-5 and +3 voltages. If vcore is lower than the spec for your chip, replacing the power supply may fix it, or you may have to replace your mobo (the transformers on your mobo may be faulty) I asked about load vs idle because both power and heat can be a factor under load (the fans will draw more power as they need to spin faster to cool your system (unless they are -always on type fans-- running at highest rpm). The power draw from the fans is not likely to be the problem, but if they are not getting enough power to spin fast enough heat could be the problem. If your (v)core voltage is either too high or too low you can experience all sorts of unstable behavior. If vcore is too low (below spec) and your bios supports it -- you MIGHT want to try boosting vcore as a workaround. The downside of this is heat, which means you will need to monitor the temp of the cpu. (see above or other tools (bios?) to do this)

Heat
We need to see if your system is overheating. Even though you said it happens in a short time, if the cpu isn't being cooled properly it can heat up/shut down very fast. Check to see if your bios has temp/power monitoring (or if your mobo came with software to do so in windows) or try to get MBM5 working so you can monitor both power and heat on your system. AMD cpus tend to run a little hotter than Intel chips. AMD and Intel both have maximum temperature ratings for their CPUs listed around 80C. If your CPU gets this hot, you’ve got some serious problems. My new system (AMD 64) is running at ~45-47C at idle -- I haven't really stressed tested it yet under load. Best practice to to keep the cpu between 45-55C. This doesn't not mean your PC will not operate at 60C, but high heat temps for extended periods of time will reduce the life of the CPU. You may want to check the "mating" between your HSF (heatsink) and the CPU. If your PC came with stock thermal grease you may want to replace/renew it. I suggest Artic Silver 5 as a replacement. (Make sure to get the old grease/compond off before you put more on - I use Goof off for this) If your CPU came with the stock HSF you may want to replace/upgrade it. (I just upgraded to the Volcano 12 from Thermaltake and dropped my cpu temp by about 5 degrees over the stock HSF -- at ~3800 rpm)

Mobo:
Your motherboard could be faulty and not supply the correct voltage (esp vcore) to your CPU. Look at bios/other monitoring tools to check this.

Memory:
Bad memory can cause instability and shutdowns. Look on the net for a memory test and run it.

Processor:
Run stress test/diags on your processor. It could be faulty.

Power usage table:
(these are rough estimates -- research your components to make sure )

AGP Video Card 30 – 50W
Average PCI Card 5 – 10W
10/100 NIC 4W
SCSI Controller PCI Card 20W
Floppy Drive 5W
CD-ROM 10 – 25W
DVD-ROM 10 – 25W
CD-RW 10 – 25W
7200rpm IDE Hard Drive 5 – 20W
10,000rpm SCSI Drive 10 – 40W
Case/CPU Fans 3W
Motherboard (w/o CPU or RAM) 25 – 40W
RAM 8W per 128MB
Pentium III Processor 38W
Pentium 4 Processor 70-90W
AMD Athlon Processor 70-100W
USB-Devices 5.00 W
IEEE 1394 8.00 W
Keyboard 1.25 W
Mouse 1.25 W

Another resource (which I hope doesn't give VASTLY different numbers) is: http://takaman.jp/psu_calc.html?english

***For overall power supply wattage, add the requirement for each device in your system, then multiply by 1.8. (The multiplier takes into account that today’s systems draw disproportionally on the +12V output. Furthermore, power supplies are more efficient and reliable when loaded to 30% - 70% of maximum capacity.)***

In addition, it is important to keep in mind not to just total up the watts you need and buy the power supply. If you need 350 watts, do not get a 350W power supply. If the computer has a 350W PSU and 350W is needed then the PSU has to run at full power the whole time and would over heat and die very quickly. Power supplies are much more efficient when not fully loaded. Also read carefully what the PSU vendor is saying relative to peak load. My 480 watt PSU is rated at 550w peak load. This is most important during startup (almost all electronic devices will draw alot of power right at startup, then settle down to their operating draw).

-chanzia

Last edited by Chanzia CyberBlender on Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:32 pm 

Excellent info, Chanzia. Thanks for taking the time to look at my problem and write all this up. It's much appreciated.

Post subject: Any updates
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:47 am 
Friend of WoV

Ally,
Any updates? Did replacing your PSU fix your problem?

Chanz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:28 pm 

Power supply got delayed until 3:00 Sunday. However it hasn't failed all day. Now i'm having packet loss issues, which is probably unrelated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:12 pm 
Friend of WoV

Footprints on the sands of time are not made by sitting down. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:12 pm 
Elder

Magelo: 0
I have a program called that monitors the heat of the CPU

Mal